A fire ripped through a Riverside carniceria Sunday evening in what was determined to be an accident, Riverside fire officials said on Monday, causing an estimated $20,000 in damage.

Investigators determined faulty wiring overheated when the meat market’s manager was welding.

Firefighters were called around 9:30 p.m. to the business in the 4000 block of Victoria Avenue. There was some smoke coming from the building.

“It appeared that a small fire was in the attic,” a Fire Department statement said.

Crews extinguished the fire quickly, but electrical wires were arcing and firefighters noticed the wiring in the attic appeared faulty, officials said. Extension cords were used in place of hard wiring.

Utilitiy crews were called to make the building safe.

Investigators learned the manager was welding and strengthening a support beam.

‘The welder possibly drew too many amps through the faulty wiring and extension cords,” the Fire Department statement said. “Ultimately, they heated and caught fire in the attic.”

Riverside County Health was notified and will be at the business at Monday morning, officials said. The business was cited for an exit door, wiring and extinguishers violations.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here